Friday, November 21, 2008

Wacky computer fun

Okay so we all know that I'm a geek. I love my technology and I haven't posted enough about technology lately so today I'll be posting about my current computer and set-up (that means I'll be editing this post all day so keep checking back).

First, I no longer run the evil empire's OS. The move to Vista was something I didn't want to be a part of plus I wanted to expand my knowledge of the software workings of my computer. So I long ago switched to Ubuntu Linux. Just the other day I finally upgraded to 8.10 (the Intrepid Ibex). I have to say that so far I am very happy with the new version it seems even more stable with fewer visual bugs than 8.04 (Hardy Heron); though Hardy Heron was still a good OS.

Well that's it for now as I'm feeling ADDish so I'll be back in a few hours with some more notes on how I've customized my set-up.

(This bloody spellcheck is British!! it wants customize spelled with an s instead of a z. Ah well thank goodness for Add to Dictionary)

Edit 4PMish: Okay so I haven't exactly come back and updated this. I think I've decided that I'm going to instead rip everything off...re-install and then chronicle the whole process (things like where to find files that you want to save so they aren't formatted over and the best ways to go about saving those files and such). After doing that which I'll probably blog over a week or so I'll start posting about Adobe Flex for Linux which I have recently discovered and want to talk a bit about. In any case I won't be updating this until either late on Saturday or sometime Sunday because I'm off to babysit niece and nephew in a bit and then I'm playing video games later tonight and all today tomorrow with Stites so busy with very important things. I'll catch you guys up later on though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be contacting you soon about this. If I don't sell my old laptop when I get a new one in the next month, I was thinking of installing a new OS on it, just for fun.

Matthew Robinson said...

Of course you've got my e-mail and phone number so get me either way. Maybe I'll blog our progress with it. :P